Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Jack's Pak-It----Corner Meat-ing Spot!!!!

Men + Knives + Butcher Block + Raw Meat = Butcher Shop

Jack’s Pak-It is my saving grace on a daily basis. As a private chef I find it very important to be able to forge and sustain a valuable relationship with a butcher and grocer. For five year’s I have been working with the Blanda’s at Jack’s.

Jack’sPak-It it is like a neighborhood pub where everybody knows your name. Instead of the bartender knowing your signature drink the Butcher knows your exact cut of meat.
I love to watch John french an entire rack of lamb into perfect little lollipops or Louis take an entire rack of ribeyes and cut into perfect two inch thick goodness.

On a sunny gorgeous day I like to ride my bike to Jack’s. (It’s about a mile from my house) I like to fantasize about being in the old world where everything is slower and more simple. I peruse the market for inspiration-usually my sense of smell gets the best of me and I make way for the meat counter. I may get a whole fresh young chicken-of course hormone & antibiotic free, a freshly baked Le Brea Bakery baguette, a simple bottle of Red-usually a Malbec, something sweet that Cathy just pulled out of the oven and the local newspaper. I love to see how I can make all of this fit in my over the shoulder pack!

I may pay a bit more at Jack’s than I would at the chain grocery stores but the price is well worth supporting our local small business owners. Our family is the most important part of our daily routines and with out these small family owned shops, what will our children gain from corporate run; chemically-laden; neon lit isles of high fructose corn syrup and shelved customer service.

Hopefully, when my children are adults and come home after college or the circus they will still be able to go to our beloved local Butcher- Jack’s Pak-It and there they will have a sense of familiarity that reminds them of days when life was much simpler and sometimes all you need is a cup of joe, a quick chat over bone-in ribeye and a sincere smile and hand shake.
 
Jack's Pak-It 409.892.6345 4505 CalderBeaumont, TX 77706
http://www.jackspakit.com/

"The Blandas are Sicilians with roots in the cities of Corleone and Bisacquino near the capital city of Sicily, Palermo. In the early 1900's, the Blanda's ancestors began migrating from Sicily, Italy to the United States. Much of the family ended up in Southeast Texas and in particular Orange, TX. Most of the Blanda family remains in the Southeast Texas area.
The Blanda family’s tradition of the grocery business started in 1917 when Grandma Blanda opened the first grocery store in her home in Orange, TX. The Blandas are well known for their Italian culture. It shows in many of the foods they offer as well as how customers are embraced and welcomed as extended family. The Blandas also appreciate the way the customers in Beaumont and surrounding areas have taken them in as extended family as well.
In the family tradition, each day when the doors open for business, an owner is on site to welcome the customer. On any morning the "coffee crew" gathers to share stories and good humor before heading off to work."
“A Beaumont Tradition in Service” is the store’s motto and the Jack's Pak-It staff enjoys meeting their customers and providing personal service. Owner John Blanda says, "We want every customer to feel welcome and leave our store completely satisfied."

No comments:

Post a Comment